Fire Officers from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service are reminding residents of the importance of smoke alarms and the dangers of electrical fires after a fire at a property in Llanddulas, near Abergele yesterday (Monday 1st October).
A crew from Abergele, two crews from Colwyn Bay a crew from Rhyl were called to the property on Llindir Road, Llanddulas, Abergele at 11.17hrs.
The fire started in the converted garage/sunroom and spread towards the main house, causing severe smoke damage to the property.
The fire is thought to have been as a result of an electrical fault and caused 95% fire damage to the sunroom and garage, and 90% smoke damage to the ground and first floors of the house.
There were no working smoke alarms fitted in the property.
Mark Kassab from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Smoke alarms give an early warning signal of a fire in your home – giving you vital time to escape, and allowing you to help prevent the spread of fire.
“There was one occupant present at the time of the fire, and thankfully he was able to escape unharmed, although his escape route had become heavily smoke-logged by the time he was aware of the fire.
“I cannot emphasise enough the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted and testing them regularly.
“This fire clearly shows the danger of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere. Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of a fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.
“There are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:
DO NOT overload plug sockets
DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
DO Unplug appliances when not in use.
DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order- DO fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.
“Why not try out our ‘ampage’ calculator on our website and facebook page – visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk – it tells you if you are overloading your sockets and helps you to stay electrically safe.”
Photograph for illustration purposes only.