Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) welcomed student bloggers from Unite Students ahead of the upcoming academic year.
Visitors got the chance to experience what it is like in student accommodation when something goes wrong, what the fire service can do about it, and how to avoid dangerous situations.
During the day, crews at Temple fire station smoked out the upstairs of the building to demonstrate just how quickly smoke can spread, and the importance of closing fire doors.
The visitors also got to see how the turntable ladder works for a rescue from height, while also trying on some of the rope rescue harnesses.
While the day was full of demonstrations, it did have a serious message. The majority of fires AF&RS attend at student accommodation start in the kitchen, often when someone has become distracted.
By following just a few simple steps students can reduce the risk of fire and the devastation it leaves behind.
Jon Clatworthy, Watch Manager at Temple fire station, said: “Fires in student accommodation are often avoidable and aside from the very real risk of injury, a fire could also destroy student’s most treasured possessions.
“Simple steps like remaining with cooking or not cooking at all if alcohol has been involved can make all the difference.
“University is a wonderful time for most students, and we hate to see that ruined by something that can be avoided.”
Bryony Prime, Health and Safety Manager for Unite Students, added: “Student Fire Safety is our top priority here at Unite Students.
“Our student blogger Jade Price learnt so much about Student Fire Safety and what the Fire & Rescue Service do during her time with Avon Fire & Rescue Service and said it was an eye-opening experience.
“She is looking forward to sharing her experience and what she learnt with fellow Students in her blog.”
- Most of the fires fire and rescue services are called to start in the kitchen, usually when cooking has been left unattended
- If you’ve been drinking please give cooking a miss. If you fall asleep and your food catches fire you’ll wake up with more than a sore head…if you wake up at all
- Show your smoke alarm some love and test it on a regular basis – it could save your life
- And remember, if you do have a fire: Get out, stay out and call 999
- Every time firefighters go to a false alarm it means they are not available to help people who might really need them at an emergency
- Make sure exits are kept clear
- The best route is the normal way you come in and out of your home
- Think of the second route in case your normal one is blocked
- Take a few minutes to practice your escape route with everyone in your home
Avon Fire and Rescue Service website www.avonfire.gov.uk
Image shows representatives of Unite Students at the event. Picture courtesy of Avon FRS.