As a UK-registered not-for-profit charity, EDM delivers the highest level of post-incident support to participating Fire and Rescue services and the communities they serve.
EDM Post Incident Support is a self-funded charity, and as such is able to offer assistance with no financial implications to either the Fire and Rescue Service or the residents, homeowners or business owners they help.
EDM Post Incident Support is there when members of the public are experiencing the trauma of dealing with a fire or flood for the first time. The EDM team can help them take the first steps to recovery and answer their urgent questions, such as:
- Where are we going to stay tonight?
- How are we going to get the children new school uniforms and shoes?
- How do I buy food with no money?
- Who do I speak to at the housing association?
- How do I contact the people who supply my electricity, gas, water etc?
- How do I get hold of my landlord?
- What do my insurance company want to know?
- How am I going to clear up this mess?
- What am I supposed to do next?
In the cold light of day even simple tasks can become overwhelming. EDM is available to help alleviate fears and guide residents in the right direction, giving reassurance through practical help and advice. They can even offer support where the emergency services may otherwise have little option but to say they cannot help, such as during minor flooding incidents.
Bringing EDM Post Incident Support on board when the incident has been brought under control and made safe allows crews to return to base knowing that the member of the public they helped is being looked after and given all the crucial support they need.
Once an intervention has been agreed and delivered, the Fire and Rescue Service will be issued a concise report outlining the actions agreed with the property owner. The advice they receive will be simple, clear and unambiguous, carefully but thoroughly outlining what happens next and what needs to be done, from property security and emergency accommodation to emergency funding and expert guidance where it is appropriate and requested.
Advice and support when it’s needed most
EDM’s free 24/7 emergency post-incident support and advice is available to anyone who has been affected by a disaster in their home or at their business premises.
- Securing the property – Underwritten by EDM.
- Sourcing emergency accommodation – For people whose home is uninhabitable.
- Emergency support fund – A discretionary emergency fund gifted of up to £250.
- Contact and immediate action – Finding the right people to speak to.
- Advising on next steps – Establishing a feeling of control and informed decision-making.
The EDM Promise:
One of the benefits EDM provides the fire service is the promise to arrange alternative accommodation for anyone who has been left with a property that is uninhabitable following an incident. We will endeavour to recover the cost of this accommodation, but in the event this is not possible EDM will fund it to ensure nobody is left stranded on the day/night of the incident.
For more information, go to www.edm-post-incident-support.org